Liming Zhu has lots of interesting ideas in An incomplete list of things a conference website can do.
Some ones I found particularly interesting:
- GeoURL enabled using a longtitude/latitude meta tag. Much easier to get your website integrated with all other location based services later.
- Google maps to conference/hotel locations. We also have a google earth placemark ready.
- Weather forcasting, weather history for the same period of the year.
- A Wikipedia entry for the conference
- Several pre-defined tags for people to share links (del.icio.us), pictures (flickr) and blog entries (technorati) regarding the conference.
- (Todo) A central conference wiki and blog system for participants to introduce themselves, upload vcard, write about the events and etc.
- (Todo) A central place for participants to upload their personal calendars or indicate directly that which presentations/social events/places they will attend so other people can catch up with him/her at the right time and place.
The posting also says
I would appreciate if you put forward more interesting ideas.
The site under development is http://www.aswec.org/ (the Australian Software Engineering Conference).