Bruno Granier - University of Western Brittany
"Impact of research assessment on scientific publication in earth sciences"
- Misuse of IF [impact factor]
citation: "The number that's devouring science"
- The Goal
* the only common goal is how visible you are...
because visibility is the qualitative factor used to assess your work
he started an OA journal - Notebooks in Geology
As an author
- (particularly in industry) you may want paper published ASAP
- you may reiterate your message in other publications
- in academe you want impact factor
ways to increase visibiity
- bogus signatures / invitation
- author names appear in alternate positions in similar papers
- selective or inexact quotations
- cutting and pasting
- lift information
Evaluators should use weighted averages for multi-author papers, 1st authorship worth much more
Question: How to detect frauds?
Answer: You need a good reviewer
As a reviewer
- the reviewer remains the sine qua non of the evaluation process
As an editor
- blacklist repeat offender authors
- use computer programs to detect plagiarism
- often citations are incorrect or not relevant
As a publisher
- OA gives happy google effect
shall i use new tools/facilities (couunters) to discriminate the kind of papers that
get the larger readership
- a huge part of the scientific inofmration is not given any consideration,
since IF covers only well-established journals
The use and misuse of metrics is responsible for the death of many lab, museum etc. publications in
France and elsewhere.
- bibliometrics or not, the only goal remains to increase your visibility
- the Google effect is at our doors