SIDEBAR: If you have questions about developing with the OC Transpo real-time data, there is a discussion group. ENDSIDEBAR
In a special meeting of Transit Commission in January 2012, Ottawa's transit agency OC Transpo was compelled to release real-time position (GPS) open data by March 22, 2012.
The recommendation is
with further direction
Once developed, the IT Working Group will be recommending that the OC Transpo Real-Time GPS Data Policy be approved by the Commission, and that the Real Time GPS data feed be fully activated by March 22, 2012.
above from ACS2012-CMR-OTC-0003: OC Transpo Real-time GPS Data Policy.
The report and associated recommendations were CARRIED (approved) by the Transit Commission. For those who don't think government can act quickly, it was just a week from OC Transpo announcing that they didn't want to release the data, to the meeting where they were required to release it. Ottawa's councillors really stepped up and delivered.
There was lots of coverage of the Transit Commission decision:
- Reddit - OC Transpo to release bus-location data March 22
- YourOttawaRegion.com - OC Transpo set to release bus-location data March 22
- CBC News - OC Transpo reverses course, again set to release GPS info
- Metro News - Releasing GPS data earns OC Transpo points
- Ottawa Citizen - Open OC Transpo data, transit commission rules
- Centretown News - OC Transpo's GPS data to be made public