On April 19, 2016 the European Commission announced many initiatives under the umbrella of “Digitise Europe”. Some are related to open science.
- Under European Cloud Initiative
- As of 2016: creating a European Open Science Cloud
- 2017: opening up by default all scientific data produced by future projects under the €77 billion Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme
- The public and private investment needed to implement the European Cloud Initiative is estimated at €6.7 billion. The Commission estimates that, overall, €2 billion in Horizon 2020 funding will be allocated to the European Cloud initiative. The estimation of the required additional public and private investment is €4.7 billion in the period of 5 years.
Previously open scientific data was just a pilot in Horizon 2020, now it will become a requirement.
This is only one element of the larger open science initiative https://ec.europa.eu/research/openscience/index.cfm?pg=home
The next item coming from the open science initiative will be the Open Science Policy Platform which will support policy formulation and implementation https://ec.europa.eu/research/openscience/index.cfm?pg=open-science-policy-platform
It is also worth noting that on the Open Access side, the Amsterdam Call for Action on Open Science https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amsterdam_Call_for_Action_on_Open_Science was issued as part of an Open Science Conference April 4-5, 2016 and is expected to go to the Competitiveness Council on May 27, 2016. It currently calls for 100% open access in Europe by 2020.
- Press Release - European Cloud Initiative https://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-16-1408_en.htm
- Full Communication (13 pages) – European Cloud Initiative https://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/dae/document.cfm?doc_id=15266
- Home page – European Cloud Initiative https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/european-cloud-initiative
- Home page – European Open Science Cloud https://ec.europa.eu/research/openscience/index.cfm?pg=open-science-cloud
- Günther OETTINGER, Member of the EC in charge of Digital Economy and Society https://ec.europa.eu/avservices/video/player.cfm?ref=I119779
- Carlos MOEDAS, Member of the EC in charge of Research, Science and Innovation https://ec.europa.eu/avservices/video/player.cfm?ref=I119778
- Q&A https://ec.europa.eu/avservices/video/player.cfm?ref=I119780
Twitter and Hashtags
- @DSMeu (Digital Single Market)